We currently have an exciting requirement available for a security cleared Safety Engineer working on a Maritime programme. It will be an initial 12 month contract outside IR35 with hybrid working. Two days per week are required in New Malden.
The Principal Safety Engineer role involves working as part of the system safety engineering team supporting the delivery of a number of complex safety critical and safety related systems across multiple platforms. The role is specifically to undertake safety engineering activities in accordance with the safety processes and using guidance. Such activities will include but not be limited to Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOPs), Functional Failure Analysis (FFA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) and Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA). The role will also require the safety engineer to be aware of the latest legislation and regulations impacting the projects they work on and to be able to analyse the relevant standards and regulations for areas that must be complied with.
* Be responsible to the Project Safety Manager, who leads the technical safety work and is responsible for generating the safety case.
* Undertake safety analysis activities as directed by the project safety manager.
* Generate safety requirements for the system to ensure that the customer's safety targets and derived safety targets can be met by the system design (e.g. random hardware failure probabilities or systematic safety integrity level (SIL) targets for software and/or firmware.
* Support the planning of safety activities on a complex project, including effort estimating to deliver the project milestones and safety case objectives.
* Supporting audits at internal and external design reviews and safety committee meetings
* Generating safety analysis and documenting it in a report, which will be the subject of internal peer review, governance reviews and presenting the findings to the customer.
* Producing technical documentation to a high standard in accordance with company/customer procedures
* Travelling to customer and sub-contractor sites in the UK, occasionally overseas, as required
* Undertaking analysis that positively impacts the design decisions and solutions propose by the engineering teams
* Presenting complex and reasoned safety arguments to internal and external stakeholders in order to influence their consideration of safety decisions.
What we are looking for:
* Relevant work experience in a safety-related engineering environment
* Understanding and awareness of international and defence standards such as IEC 61508 and Def Stan 00-056
* Awareness of safety assurance of COTS PE based systems or high integrity software
* Ability to understand hardware and software failure modes, causes and effects
* Experience in some areas safety/reliability analysis techniques: hazard identification and analysis, FMECA, FTA, Functional Failure Analysis
* Awareness of the tools and techniques used in Risk Assessments and developing ALARP justifications
* Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team (e.g. systems, hardware, software and ILS engineers, project management, customer and supplier engineering teams)
* Masters Degree, Degree, HND or HNC in Engineering or Safety Management related discipline
It would be great if you had:
* Experience of Commercial or Military Maritime engineering Safety requirements capture, negotiation and trade--off
* Knowledge of Human Factors Engineering
* Knowledge of formal Validation and Verification processes
* UK Defence experience on maritime projects
* Knowledge of the full systems engineering lifecycle
To be considered, please send through an updated CV.
Due to the nature and urgency of this post, candidates holding or who have held high level security clearance in the past are most welcome to apply. Please note successful applicants will be required to be security cleared prior to appointment which can take up to a minimum 10 weeks. LA International is a HMG approved ICT Recruitment and Project Solutions Consultancy, operating globally from the largest single site in the UK as an IT Consultancy or as an Employment Business & Agency depending upon the precise nature of the work, for security cleared jobs or non-clearance vacancies, LA International welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people with diverse experience and backgrounds.
Award Winning LA International, winner of the Recruiter Awards for Excellence, Best IT Recruitment Company, Best Public Sector Recruitment Company and overall Gold Award winner, has now secured the most prestigious business award that any business can receive, The Queens Award for Enterprise: International Trade, for the second consecutive period.